Sunday, February 26, 2006

The Yorkshire Dales Highest Peaks

Spent a couple of days in the Yorkshire dales - camping in sub zero temperatures with gales howling. Equipment stood up to its most demanding tests so far.





My boots were amazing - very comfortable. No Blisters. No squashed toes on the descents. Totally dry. The Gortex Layer worked!

Additionally I think I now have 2 pieces of must have kit that I couldnt imagine trekking without. My Leki trekking poles were absolutely invaluable. Very expensive but I dont think I would have got up either mountain without them. Not only did they offer tremendous support in normal conditions, the ascents were litterally blocks of ice. They dug in and held me well. The snow baskets, which I almost dismissed as not needed, performed brilliantly on the snow covered ridge of Whernside. My hydration pack neatly hidden away in its pocket of my Berghaus FreeflowIII 35+8 pack kept me supplied with continual water without my having to stop. I had to stop lots because I was knackered :) but not to get my water bottle out.

Ive discovered a great website for walk routes: http://www.go4awalk.com

The walks are graded from 1-9

1 = A gentle stroll, 5 miles or less on flat terrain.
2 = A pleasant afternoon walk over 5 miles
3 = Gentle ascents and descents, 5 miles or longer
4 = Harder ascents up to 1000ft, 5 miles or longer
5 = 4 to 6 hour walk in the Derbyshire Peaks
6 = Single Lake District Summit
7 = A couple of Lake District Summits/Single Scottish Summit
8 = Multiple Lake District Summits/Couple of Scottish Summits
9 = Full Day Hike in the High Mountains/Multiple Scottish Summits

Day 1 was a Grade 5 walk up The Yorkshire Dales highest mountain, Whernside. Cold, Windy, Snowy and Icy. Perfect :)



Then after a good warm up and something to eat in a nearby pub it was time to prepare for Day 2. This is me tucked up in my sleeping bag in my tent!

Day 2 was a fantastic walk up the 2nd highest Mountain in the dales. Had to modify the route slightly as the day started with torrential rain which delayed my taking the tent down and packing it away. I took the Med/Hard difficulty level route which took me up an almost vertical climb to the ridge. Superb views of Whernside, The Ribblehead Viaduct and Pen-Y-Ghent, the third of the dales famous 3 peaks, and one which I shall crack in the next few weeks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home