Monday, March 13, 2006

Snowdon

Just back from the first of my "big 3" mountains in the UK - Snowdon.
It was an organised training weekend with some people going to Peru, some to Killamanjaro and 3 of us going to Base Camp (albeit at different times). The hostel was comfortable, if basic (and expensive for what it was - wouldnt recommend it from a value for money perspective (www.snowdonlodge.co.uk). Apparently Lord Tennyson was born there!

After a nightmare journey there taking over 6 hours (couple of accidents en-route blocked the roads) we arrived at about 11pm on Friday night just in time for bed!

There are 6 trails up to the summit, and ourleaders, Riana and Richard took us up the Ranger Track on Saturday. Weather was touch and go, but we all decided we would prefer to risk not reaching the summit than take the other option which was to climb a smaller mountain with a peak below the 800m snowline.


Kit checked, and ready for off.


Got a new phone with a better camera. That will be 3 that I'll be taking with me now! Hopefully one of them will function OK while Im away.


Not bad for a camera phone! Absolutely stunning scenary en-route to the top.

reached the snowline at about 800m - time to put an extra layer of clothing on ... and a wooly hat!



Lunchtime at the top. Where did all those people come from?!!

And thats another summit in the bag! I need to adjust my gym work I think. Im really finding it quite difficult to climb the very steep sections of these walks. I always get there, but much slower than I think I should. I'll have to speak to Lana and see what we can sort out.

Sunday morning started with some theory - Navigation Skills, Safety and Security, Top Tips and you will have to trust me that these are hand drawn weather maps to explain how weather works and how to spot looming problems!


The forecast of very heavy snow on the way home persuaded us to skip the planned short walk in Betws-y-coed in favour of a shopping trip to the abundance of outdoor shops there and a lunchtime return home.

All in all a worthwhile trip with some breathtaking scenary and harsh conditions to test us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home