Thursday, October 05, 2006

Kathmandu to Lukla in the Himalayan Foothills

After several hours stood waiting at the airport (there was yesterdays backlog to clear and I wasnt on the first plane out as I had been told) we eventually get crammed onto a vintage twin prop plane and catapulted into the air. We are on our way at last.


About an hour later we touch down at Lukla airport with its tiny runway.

Because of the flight delay our litchen staff will not be cooking. They will press on and set up tonight's camp. We lunch in Sherpa's friend's house. Very traditional with a wood stove cooker and no lighting.




The children seem intrigued to see me! Lots of peeking around corners and running off giggling. I call them over and show them pictures of my family on my phone. They are mesmorised and the photo of Megan pulling a funny face draws hysterical laughter.
My bit done for international relations!

Lunch is served. Noodle soup. Lots of it. I didnt realise this was just the starter and it is soon followed by a huge plate of rice and some watery curry, a garnish of chilies in oil and an ommelette. I dont want to cause offence but this is way too much food for me. I sample a bit of each. It is a problem that will recur throughout my trip! The hosts hospitality is wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home