Monday, October 23, 2006

Last days in Kathmandu

Just about fully recovered now in Kathmandu and fly back to the UK early tomorrow morning.
I'm ready for the familiarity of home, although I'll still be alone when I get there as my family are on holiday in Turkey. I've been away a long time. I wonder what has happened in the X-Factor since Ive been gone!

Its the start of the Hindu Festival of lights - Divali and the city is very colourful at night with the streets adorned with multi coloured lights and candles lit everywhere. Last night I was invited into the home of Sidar Lakpa Sherpa to share a meal with him and his family. He lives with his wife, mother in law and 3 children - one just 5 months old in 2 very basic rooms - no carpet, no heating, in downtown Kathmandu. It was humbling and an honour.

This morning before breakfast I took a flight back to the Mountains, seeing them all from above this time. The skys were clear and there has been alot of snow in the last few days. I think my achievement is only just begining to sink in.

Retracing the 70 mile trek from the air was quite an emotional experience for me. I wasnt quite blubbing like a baby, but there was certainly a lump in my throat when we flew past Mount Everest.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:24 PM  
Blogger No Hassle Loans said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:47 AM  
Blogger Julian said...

Thank you all for your comments. I do appreciate them even if I cant read some of them :)

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home